miércoles, 16 de mayo de 2012

Review: XIA Tarantallegra

So after drowning myself the whole day for this surprise ear-candy of the summer, I found myself that this album is quite generic yet its great overall given that it is Junsu’s first. You know. It’s really hard to compose a song; much more if it is a full length album like this. I salute Junsu and all his friends and brothers who helped him create this work.
I tried to criticize only the songs not the music videos, not the concept photos, and not the album packaging. I know that Junsu made this not for the sake of commercial use per se but for the soul as well. and forgive me because this is my personal take to the album and I am not a musically-inclined person nor an enthusiast. I am just a listener.
I was expecting so much in this album. I expect it to be heavy in everything—visuals, instruments, technicality, in the overall production. But honestly, it came short to my expectations and I’m a bit disappointed but not as much as I was disappointed in “In Heaven”. This album actually did not showcase the full-strength and flexibility of Junsu’s vocal prowess. But when I come to think of it, this might be the way he really wants to sing—there are no shouting nor screaming to the point of having his veins curve in the neck because when he used to sing in a 5 or 3-manned group he usually takes care of the high notes.
However, I found this album to be full of softness and heart. It’s a very soulful one. He should be proud right now!
In the end I realized that this is not about the album itself, but the artist behind it—-Kim Junsu. We all know that he wants to show us what he got and what he feels through this work and it’s for us to take time to listen, to understand, and to appreciate.
image
By the way, here are some of my comments to the songs in the album. I tried to make it short.
1. Sunset
Composed by Xia / Lyrics by Xia
It is complementary to the single track and perfect for intro to the album. The heavy use of instruments especially the cello adds elegance and also it conjures the image of darkness, maze, and goth for me. Perhaps, it also grew on me since it has been used in the teaser before.
2. Tarantallegra (Feat. Flowsik of Aziatix)
Composed by Xia / Lyrics by JUNO
This song is extremely great for a dance track in terms of Kpop. I really love the use of cello as always. And I must say that FLOWSIK, you know what?! You are my favorite rapper now! You must continue to collaborate with them more. His rap lines “What music will you listen too?” stuck in my head more that Junsu’s repeated “Talantallegla”~~~ The autotune was unexpected but I have no problem with that since it fits in the mood of the song.
3. Set Me Free (Feat. Bizzy)
Composed by Xia / Lyrics by Xia
This song was like okay for me…Uhm it’s just right to serve as a good transition from Tarantallegra to track no. 4.
4. No Gain
Composed by Kim JaeJoong / Lyrics by Kim JaeJoong
Well, as we all know, this song is screaming Kim Jaejoong. He has his name written all over this song. Thanks Jae for this song but it’s too far to move me. It reminds me of Kim Hyun Joong’s Please…“‘Cause you’re the cheater, the liar, and a killer..~~”
5. 사랑이 싫다구요 (I Don’t Like Love)
I think this song is too generic also. It’s good that it is a soundtrack for Rooftop Prince because I don’t think I will pay more attention to it if it is not. But I think the way Junsu delivered this song is so heartfelt! I don’t understand hangul and maybe the lyrics will move you once you get it but for me I don’t~~~ I would prefer his “Too Love” for Sung Kyun Kwan Scandal as his best song for a drama soundtrack.
6. 돌고 돌아도 (I Turn Around and Around)
Composed by Xia / Lyrics by JUNO
This song is my second favorite in this album. It’s just soft, plain, and I think it is a very inspiring song. I don’t know. Listening to it, makes me think that I am flying. Weeee~~~~^^
7. Intoxication 
Composed by Xia / Lyrics by Xia
As much as Simon and Martina love this song, I also became attached to it. Even this song is all about sex and fantasies, I prefer this Korean version than his original Japanese one. The guitar accompaniment adds crisp and sexy touches to the song.
8. Breath (Feat. Double K)
Composed by Xia / Lyrics by Xia
I don’t like this song. The rapping at the start is errrrrr~~~ This song gives me a feeling that I am watching a basketball-themed Korean drama. That’s all.
9. 알면서도(Even Though You Already Know)

I will always believe that this ballad is at its best if its sung by all 5 people in TVXQ.This song is very TVXQ-ish. It gives me a feeling of their old ballads in Rising Sun and O-Jung Ban Hap albums such as Remember, Love Is Never Gone and I Never Let Go.
10. Lullaby (Feat. 개코 Of Dynamic Duo)
Composed by Xia / Lyrics by Xia
Contrary to the title of this song, whenever I listen to it, I don’t think of sleeping. This track makes a good lovemaking song. Yeah! I think my mind is dirty. I swear. The innocence of the title is not appropriate for Junsu’s sexy, soulful, and sleek voice in this track. But this is my third favorite song in this album.
11. Fever
Composed by Xia / Lyrics by JUNO, Xia
Another slight up-tempo. Well you can see that this is the 11th track out of the 12 so they must place this song to where it can keep up the mood and have a fitting transition from dance track to ballads to dance track and to ballads again. I’m not fond of this song. It’s just like an album filler for me.
12. 이슬을 머금은 나무 (A Dew-Laden Tree)
Composed by Xia / Lyrics by Xia
What must Junsu be thinking when he’s composing this song? It must be raining hard during those times; or he must be reminiscing the past or perhaps his cats instead; or he must be very inspired with his special someone because this song is MY FAVORITE. He really has talents. The part where he just sings “Ha~~~ Ha.” is very soothing. There so much Junsu in this song. Though there are no very high notes to hit, this song only belongs to him. This song for me saved the album.
Overall, I have a lot of mix thought regarding this album but I think this one does better than their group album “In Heaven”, because the only song I got to love there is the carrying single itself.
This album is not that bad nor too excellent. Junsu’s first album is good enough to earn complement. He doesn’t cater to what the market wants and what capitalists needs. It’s just for his soul nourishment.
I would like to say that no matter how the Korean music industry is trying to make each and everyone in JYJ to be unsuccessful as possible to become singers, you cannot deny that this voice is a gift that must be treasured. As long as I live I will continue to support them and their endeavors. I know they will become better.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario